Tuesday 17 December 2013

Jonathan Tiernan-Locke, Team Sky, blood doping and biological passports


With Team Sky rider Jonathan Tiernan-Locke facing an anti doping hearing, the biological passport system is going to be big news in the UK (though it should be noted that Sky stress the anomalous findings were all taken before he joined their team).

So I took a look back at all my blogs. The word “passport” arises 34 times. What does this mean in a sporting/doping context? The athlete biological passport aims to detect doping indirectly via looking at the variations in biological markers in blood or urine. The only current validated system in use is the “blood passport” that tests for blood boosting and EPO abuse. As it is clearly inappropriate to comment on an allegation under review, I thought I would instead link to all my previous blogs that mention the passport system; sort of a “greatest hits” of my writing on this system. Happy reading! 













1 comment: